It’s August (somehow?!). And our work, social, and private lives are still being turned upside-down by the
I keep finding myself mindlessly scrolling through Instagram (do you already follow us on Instagram?) and ignoring the chores and work I need to do. And then, by the end of the day, I feel like I’ve gotten nothing done. Yet I still feel exhausted.
Clearly, I need a motivation intervention. It’s time to break out the big guns: affirmations.
What are affirmations?
Affirmations are positive statements that you say to yourself to help reshape your reality. That sounds kind of hokey, but it’s true.
By adjusting our states of mind and the way we talk to ourselves about things that we feel hold us back, we can rewire our brains to stop accepting the negative and start actively pursuing the positive.
Adding affirmations to your daily routine can make you more grateful, more ambitious, more motivated – think of affirmations as a way of teaching yourself to “say yes” to all the good that’s possible in your life.
I first got turned on to affirmations via this viral YouTube video of a little girl who starts each day repeating affirmations to herself in her bathroom mirror:
Embed video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg
She’s not only getting pumped to take on her day, she’s also clearly having so much fun. She appreciates all the good in her life and gives herself the power to do even more good. It’s totally inspiring.
Here’s how to get the most out of affirmations
Choose a few affirmations that work for you and say them out loud to yourself each day. You may feel a little silly, but there’s something about saying the words aloud that gives them more power.
When it comes to figuring out what to say to yourself, expert Liz Huber has some suggestions:
- I deserve happiness and it is my right to make choices that make me happy.
- I will find something that will make me smile and laugh today.
- I’m happy to be alive for another day, and grateful for my body and mind.
- I deserve love, from myself and from others.
- I welcome positive loving energy and seek to return it.
- I have many fruitful relationships in my life, including with _____ that bring me joy and support.
- I can accept myself as I am while still wanting to grow.
- I am enough.
- I believe I can reach my goals (be specific here, if it helps).
- I attract opportunities that make more money.
- I deserve to feel financially safe and be paid my worth.
- I am grateful for the financial blessings I already have, such as _____ that help me feel secure.
Now, to #GetMotivated, I’m going to create some specific affirmations that empower me to tackle my day with all the spunk I can muster. And, I definitely plan to shout them to myself in the bathroom mirror every morning. I think it’ll just be more exciting that way.
Give daily affirmations a try and let me know how they go for you. I’ll be back next week with another Monday Motivation Moment. See you then!